An anthology of supernatural detective stories is coming, you know, the pulp-style stuff with unusual sleuths solving cases of high strangeness. It’s called Dead Detective Society, and it looks pretty cool. A number of bestselling writers and their characters are involved. Some we know about but can’t tell you about yet, which has us straining a bit. Some we can tell you about, and we will in a few paragraphs. What we’re most excited about is Wicked Horror has been given the privilege of an exclusive reveal. Keep reading for a look for yourfirst look at a piece of art from the collection and the naming of an author.
“Throughout history and over countless dimensions, [Dead Detective Society] members have taken the strangest and most bizarre cases,” James Aquilone, the editor on this project from Monstrous Books, said in explaining the collection’s underpinning mythology. “They are zombies and ghosts, ghouls and vampires and werewolves. Uncanny and uncategorized P.I.s. And they’ll all be collected in this one-of-a-kind anthology and future anthologies.” Find out more on the antho’s Kickstarter page. Read on for more on contributors We CAN talk about.
Here are the detectives and creators we can tell you about so far.
- Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. (who has featured in nine novels and dozens of short stories by New York Times bestseller Kevin J. Anderson),
- Cal McDonald (Steve Niles’s occult detective whose adventures have been published by Dark Horse Comics and IDW Publishing)
- Saul When: Halloween Detective by John Jennings
- Jin G. Fox, Death Investigator by Rena Mason, based on a character from her story in the award-winning anthology Black Cranes.
- A reanimated Nick Carter by David Avallone, based on the character who appeared in the Nick Carter-Killmaster novels written by his father, Michael Avallone. (Michael had his own cool PI Ed Noon.)
- “Last-Known Photo, A Sonja Blue Story” by Nancy A. Collins
- “Mr. Cricket” by Joe R. Lansdale and Kasey Lansdale
- “The World Is a Secret” by Lisa Morton
You can check out the Kickstarter page for more and watch for the other bestselling creators to be announced, but for now, without further hoopla [drum roll…] here’s a taste of the illustrations to be included and the exclusive reveal of one more name for that list.
Behold the art reveal of Dead Jack by J.K Woodward. J.K. is a comics artist known for IDW’s Fallen Angel. He’s also worked on a host of Star Trek comics and much more.