While doing the press rounds for the new Ninja Turtles movie, Brad Fuller has been more than willing to open up about his plans for the upcoming Friday the 13th redux. He recently confirmed that Aaron Guzikowski (Prisoners) is on board to pen the screenplay and has just turned in his draft to the studio. Today, we have even more news regarding the direction of the forthcoming film.
In speaking with The Reel Word, Fuller explained that they are taking a somewhat different approach this time and going back to where things began. “Aaron’s [Guzikowski] story has great characters…You kind of have to understand Jason Voorhees, so we go back and we kind of started over and work our way forward.”
When the outlet attempted to confirm whether Fuller meant this would be an origin story, the producer revealed that this latest installment will be something of an origin story. He said that it will be “Origin-ish, but it’s an origin that no one has seen before. Obviously Pamela’s there, but it’s a little bit different from what you’ve seen before.”
Last we had heard, the film had lost its director (David Bruckner). However, he is reportedly still the studio’s first choice to helm when the project finally gets off the ground but he is no longer attached in any official capacity. The studio had explained that they think it would be unfair to retain him with the production start date still so far away. As of the most recent round of updates, the release date was moved to a January 13, 2017 date.
Nick Antosca (Hannibal) was attached to write the script at one point. And he was developing a concept that would have seen the film set in the ’80s. But with a new screenwriter on board, that idea will most likely be abandoned. Antosca said that this installment would not be a sequel to the 2009 reboot and would do its own thing. Fuller seems to echo that sentiment that the upcoming redux will stand on its own.
Prior to Guzikowski or Antosca, a draft of the script was penned by Richard Naing and Ian Goldberg. It was speculated a while back that Jason would not be in the new Friday the 13th film but that allegation is false. There was another round of rumors that suggested that the new film would be found footage. And while that was considered, Fuller nixed the idea and has repeatedly refuted claims to that to that regard.