We have just gotten clarification regarding various rumors about the upcoming Friday the 13th sequel/redux. In speaking with our friends at iHorror, Brad Fuller cleared up several misconceptions and misunderstandings about the direction of the latest entry in the Friday the 13th cannon. The main takeaway is that it will be a period piece and not necessarily an origin story. Keep reading for all the details!
“Origin isn’t really the right word for this movie,” says Fuller. “The word origin got out and everyone’s calling it an origin film now, but that isn’t exactly the direction we’re taking. It’s more of an alternate world that we’re creating for Jason–an alternate space, alternate reality–in this film. Yes, Pamela and Jason are together in this film, but this is the same Jason we all know and love. He’s Jason; he kills–he kills teenagers. We went down the origin route with the second Texas Chainsaw Massacre film, and I think when you go to deep into a character’s origin, the character stops being scary at some point. I’m not worried about demystifying Jason by revealing parts of his back story, which most of the fans are familiar with.”
“The story takes place between the late 1970s and the early 1980s,” Fuller continued. He went on to explain that Jason’s father may or may not be a part of the redux. “No, we haven’t decided whether or not Elias will appear in the film,” Fuller clarified. “Again, that was a comment I made, which was a response to a question about whether or not Elias would be a part of this film. I said that including Jason’s father was an idea, a possibility, but it’s not at all a certainty that he’ll appear in the film. The main relationship is between Pamela and Jason.”
Fuller assured the outlet that the project really is a priority for his production company, Platinum Dunes. “We’re moving fast,” confirms Fuller. “All of our energies are now focused on this new Friday the 13th, and we’re laser-focused. First, we had to release the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtlesmovie, and we’ve just been finishing up the next Ouija film. Now it’s all about Friday the 13th.”
As for the film’s ambitious January 13, 2017, release date, Fuller realizes that the project probably will not be ready for release at that point. But he did assure that we should be hearing something soon and that the hunt for a director is on. “No, [pause] but that decision will be made by Paramount Pictures, and I’m sure they will announce a release date soon–whether it’s the next Friday the thirteenth date in October 2017, or another date altogether,” said Fuller. Things are moving very fast, and we all know that these films can be filmed and then released very quickly. We’re now looking for a director and hope to start filming soon.”
David Bruckner was previously attached to direct. Last we had heard, he was still the studio’s first choice to helm when the project gets off the ground but he is no longer attached in any official capacity. Paramount previously explained that they felt it would be unfair to retain him with all of the setbacks.
Nick Antosca (Hannibal) was attached to write the script at one point. Antosca said that this installment would not be a sequel to the 2009 reboot and would do its own thing.
Prior to Guzikowski or Antosca, a draft of the script was penned by Richard Naing and Ian Goldberg. It was speculated a while back that Jason would not be in the new Friday the 13th film but that allegation has been repeatedly refuted. There was another round of rumors that suggested that the new film would be found footage. And while that was considered, Fuller nixed the idea and has repeatedly assured fans that option is off the table.